List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KWord menu layout
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2002-09-23 10:55:39

Le Lundi 23 Septembre 2002 10:18, David Faure a écrit :
> Forwarding suggestions for the KWord menus - for the UI experts out there
> ;)
>
> a) File. Document information would be ok near Statistics.
I agree. I would also put there Create Document fromTemplate because it is an
option you seldom use. The top part of the menu should be reserved for
options you use the most

> b) Format. Show header/footer should be put in View (or, at
> least, in Insert), like many other programs do.
That is what MsWord does. But, in  KWord philosophy Headers and Footers should
be considered as Frames. And maybe we should think more about the ui of
Frames before making a decision about Headers and Footers. Also, what to do
of headers and footers in text mode ?

> c) When a table is not selected in the document, shouldn't it be
> put *all* greyed (and not only the inner menu items)?
Yes, it would be better

> d) Insert is the most "confused" menu, IMHO.
> Special character
> Hard frame break
> - ---
> Textframe
> Table (or is it better to put it in the Table menu?)
> Formula
> Object frame
> Picture > from file... / Clipart... / Scan image
> - ---
> File
> - ---
> Footnote
> Comments
> Link
> Variable
> Expression
> - ---
> Bookmark
> Table of contents

For me, the Insert menu is not so illogical. First what you can insert in a
frame and second creating new frames.
Special character
Hard frame break
- ---
Footnote
Comments
Link
Variable
Expression
Bookmark
------
Textframe
Table > in a new frame / inline in the current frame
 Formula
 Object frame
 Picture > from file... / Clipart... / Scan image

For the Table of Contents, I'm wondering if it should not be created
automatically in a  new frame. Generally Table of Contents or Indexes have
special formatting options (fonts, margins, page numbers) that could be more
easily controlled in a special frame.

My own ui shopping list :
- Double clicking on a frame open the the frameset manager for the frame
- The title of the windows is not Frame Properties - KWord but Frame
Properties for MyFoobarframe
- In the Edit Menu an option 'select all text in the current frame'

Cheers,
Charles
--
cmiramon@kde-france.org