List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: quotation marks
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-12 12:31:02

Am Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2002 13:54 schrieb David Faure:

> > >     :)   That's not a Windows thing - that's the PC archetecture.  DOS,
> > >     : CP/M
> > >
> > > and Novell all did it too.  So does Linux - as long as you're not in X.
> >
> > Gosh -- You are right. I've never noticed.
> >
> > I doubt, however, that any guru will ever convince me that it is a good
> > thing we don't have this in X11. Esp. when typing in word processors I
> > miss this feature every few minutes, sometimes every few seconds. Which
> > is one of the main reasons I still do a lot of WP work in Windows. Being
> > able to dig something like a quotation mark out in table 32 of
> > kcharselect and then copy & paste it is simply not good enough in the
> > long run. Nor would I want to put everything in autocorrect. (How would
> > you define that you need a hyphen sometimes and sometimes an en or em
> > dash? Or sometimes an inch mark and sometimes a typographical quote?)
> >
> > If we could only convince a developer to implement this to KDE somehow
>
> You know that I implemented it in KWord/KPresenter, right? Just try.

I'll be damned ... Thank you very much!

> For any wider usage, it would need to go into the widgets, e.g. QTextEdit,
> QLineEdit, or their KDE equivalents. So I'd first suggest trying to
> convince the trolls about it.

I will certainly send a request about this to the Trolls -- for what it's
worth. I think this would be a great thing to have in every Editor (esp.
KBabel) and text processing program. We'd need something, however, to
indicate the numbers to type on the numpad (as Windows does with their char
selection utility). I talked to Bryce Nesbitt about this a while ago. Maybe I
should ask him again... ;-)

Regards,

Thomas

--