List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: quotation marks
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-06-12 11:54:56

On Sunday 09 June 2002 08:19, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 9. Juni 2002 01:21 schrieb Evan Edwards:
> > On Saturday 08 June 2002 06:31 am, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > > Did anyone mention already that it would be great if we had a
> > > Windows-like Alt+Numpad mechanism in KDE? ;-)
> > >
> >     :)   That's not a Windows thing - that's the PC archetecture.  DOS,
> >     : CP/M
> >
> > and Novell all did it too.  So does Linux - as long as you're not in X.
>
> Gosh -- You are right. I've never noticed.
>
> I doubt, however, that any guru will ever convince me that it is a good thing
> we don't have this in X11. Esp. when typing in word processors I miss this
> feature every few minutes, sometimes every few seconds. Which is one of the
> main reasons I still do a lot of WP work in Windows. Being able to dig
> something like a quotation mark out in table 32 of kcharselect and then copy
> & paste it is simply not good enough in the long run. Nor would I want to put
> everything in autocorrect. (How would you define that you need a hyphen
> sometimes and sometimes an en or em dash? Or sometimes an inch mark and
> sometimes a typographical quote?)
>
> If we could only convince a developer to implement this to KDE somehow ...

You know that I implemented it in KWord/KPresenter, right? Just try.

For any wider usage, it would need to go into the widgets, e.g. QTextEdit, QLineEdit,
or their KDE equivalents. So I'd first suggest trying to convince the trolls about it.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
LinuxTag was fun: polar bears, bad movies, live hacking, late hacking, bed sharing, Fahrplan.