List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: quotation marks
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-09 6:19:17

Am Sonntag, 9. Juni 2002 01:21 schrieb Evan Edwards:
> On Saturday 08 June 2002 06:31 am, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > Did anyone mention already that it would be great if we had a
> > Windows-like Alt+Numpad mechanism in KDE? ;-)
> >
>     :)   That's not a Windows thing - that's the PC archetecture.  DOS,
>     : CP/M
>
> and Novell all did it too.  So does Linux - as long as you're not in X.

Gosh -- You are right. I've never noticed.

I doubt, however, that any guru will ever convince me that it is a good thing
we don't have this in X11. Esp. when typing in word processors I miss this
feature every few minutes, sometimes every few seconds. Which is one of the
main reasons I still do a lot of WP work in Windows. Being able to dig
something like a quotation mark out in table 32 of kcharselect and then copy
& paste it is simply not good enough in the long run. Nor would I want to put
everything in autocorrect. (How would you define that you need a hyphen
sometimes and sometimes an en or em dash? Or sometimes an inch mark and
sometimes a typographical quote?)

If we could only convince a developer to implement this to KDE somehow ...

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org