List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: O.T. Spam
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-05-28 8:43:33

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 10:15, Jost Schenck wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 May 2002 02:04, Michael Marcucio wrote:
> > is there a way for members(who probrobly will be the majority of posters)
> > to post freely to the list but non list members posts(might be a few a day?
> > few a week?) are moderated?
>
> Yes, this is possible.

Except that you can't combine that with a white-list, so e.g. @kde.org developers
won't be able to post directly. We're still waiting to see if the next version of
mailman has "accept posts from list members _and_ from this white list".
Anyway, it's a smaller problem.

> It's just that we did not want everybody who wants to
> send us compliments/problem reports/etc. to receive a mail "Only members are
> allowed to post on this list, your message has been forwarded to the list
> maintainer for approval"; it always sounds a little bit insulting, I think.
Well, I get that when I post to e.g. kmail@kde.org or other lists I'm not on,
and I don't feel insulted. With the current amount of spam, it's a normal and
necessary measure I think.

> David, Thomas et al. what do you think? Last time we talked about these
> problems the spam problem was not nearly as large as it is now, so we might
> reconsider this ...
Yes.
Well, I'm fine with changing koffice@ to members-only-can-post, but then you'll
get even MORE admin work to do (accepting any post from users who found
koffice@kde.org in the webpage). There's also a problem with bug reports for
"koffice" (and koshell I think?). They arrive onto koffice@kde.org... would be very
strange for bug reporters to get a "you message awaits for approval" in return ;)
Maybe we should just send "Package: koffice" reports somewhere else then -
to someone who could either re-assign if the bug is application-specific,
or send to the appropriate developer if the problem is in the koffice libs.
I almost volunteer.... but one day I'll do so much admin work that I'll
have exactly 0 minutes left for actual development.....

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/