List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KPresenter - Powerpoint filter [Re: KOffice for KDE3]
From:       "Michael Marcucio" <michaelmarcucio () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2002-02-13 21:42:57

>Hi Vadim,
>
> > So far, import filter for PowerPoint was always crashing for me.
> > (and experience with importing MS-originated docs is much worser with
> > PowerPoint, comparing to Word 2000; word filter was always much more
> > stable)
>
>Can you send me a small one that crashes please please?

It seems like any presentation with a design template will crash (Maybe
because of LZW compressed container??). The filter extracts the text out of
all the other ppt files i used.

> > Does someone work on Powerpoint filter for KPresenter?
>
>No. Many people have said that they would, but no code so far...
>
> > Having this filter working is critical for office migration to
>KDE/Linux.
> > Just as an idea of it importance: from 11 people we have in office, 9
>use
> > PowerPoint.
> > I understand that resources are limited.
> > But, if it's not possible to write fully-featured PowerPoint filter in
> > nearest future - may be, it's possible to have filter which does text
> > extraction from PowerPoint presentations?
>
>That's exactly what the current filter does when it works. It extracts the
>text, and puts them on a set of slides. At the moment, it always seems to
>create two extra slides at the beginning (possibly related to the master
>layouts?) but that is a rather benign "bug".

Definetly related to the master slide, the filter thinks it's a real slide.
i am doing a little work on this filter when i have time. (if there were
only 30 hours in a day instead of 24 ;))
should i try to get a stable filter working first that extracts only the
text from any file and check that code in then do the hard stuff?

Mike