List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Using renice to boost performance of Koffice
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-05 0:19:56

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 07:21, Jonathan wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I would like to know if it is feasible to reset 'renice' to -1 ot -2 for
> certain processes in KDE / Koffice to boost the response of programmes and
> in particular Konqueror. I noticed that my CPU is hardly used in normal
> desktop operations like writing a letter or using Kspread. I did that by
> watching the bar graph in KPM. What FAQ's/tutorials should I read to
> determine what processes should be reniced to increase the performance?  I
> am speaking of the articles posted at the KDE developers website. I have
> reniced kdeint:kicker, kdeint:kdesktop, kdeinit:dcopserver, kmserver and
> kdeinit:konqueror to -1. Is this a bad idea? It does not seem to harm
> anything. It seems to me that it would be desirable to boost some of these
> processes, if you are always going to use your Linux as a desktop OS. I
> appreciate any guidance on this matter.

This makes no sense IMHO. Let the kernel's scheduling take care of everything,
nicing processes only makes a difference when the load is > 1. You're not
going to see faster processes just because you're telling the kernel that
they are "more important than the others", if there's no "others" that takes
the CPU.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops