List:       koffice
Subject:    Using renice to boost performance of Koffice
From:       Jonathan <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2002-01-29 6:21:48

Hi:

 I would like to know if it is feasible to reset 'renice' to -1 ot -2 for
certain processes in KDE / Koffice to boost the response of programmes and
in particular Konqueror. I noticed that my CPU is hardly used in normal
desktop operations like writing a letter or using Kspread. I did that by
watching the bar graph in KPM. What FAQ's/tutorials should I read to
determine what processes should be reniced to increase the performance?  I
am speaking of the articles posted at the KDE developers website. I have
reniced kdeint:kicker, kdeint:kdesktop, kdeinit:dcopserver, kmserver and
kdeinit:konqueror to -1. Is this a bad idea? It does not seem to harm
anything. It seems to me that it would be desirable to boost some of these
processes, if you are always going to use your Linux as a desktop OS. I
appreciate any guidance on this matter.

						Cheers,

						Jonathan