List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Question about shadowing..
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-28 12:58:05

On Sunday 27 January 2002 17:04, Mike McBride wrote:
> I am curious why Shadow effects of text are performed on a paragraph
> basis, rather than on a character basis.
>
> There will occasionally be times when a user might want shadowed text in
> the middle of a sentance.  Under the current setup, that could only be
> accomplished with complicated layering of frames.
>
> All other DTP and Wordprocessing programs that I am aware of consider
> shadow effects to be a font property, not a paragraph property.
>
> I think it would be better to allow shadow text to exist within a line.
> Is there any reason it was decided to have it this way?

Urgency, I guess. I needed it urgently in order to avoid a regression in
KPresenter, where presentations could have shadows (applied to the whole
paragraph) with the previous text object, so I ported it to the kotext,
making it already more flexible (paragraph property instead of whole object
property). I wondered about char property, knew it would come up, but went
for the easy way first. There's also a matter of memory storage, there are
quite a few variables with shadow (distance, direction, color), but since we
share textformats, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. There's the problem
of the UI too, though.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops