List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Like to work for fun
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-12-31 11:18:54

Hi Feroz,

> I am reading the interview with David Faure in linux.org. I started
> writing this when he asked the reader(me) to respond if i want to join
> you. I know C++ and has access to lots of computers. I am working as
> project assistant in Indian Institute of Science. I was looking around to
> volunteer in any of the open source movement. I hope you have no objection
> in assigning me a project. I together with lots of my friends here assure
> you of a successful completion. Waiting for your response,

Do you fancy wokring on improving Indic language support for KDE? I am trying
to complete basic Unicode support for at least one language: doing the others
is then simply a question of a few font glyphs and keyboard mapping files.

What exists so far:

- a Bengali font encoded according to IS13194 (Bengali part) and which is
correctly loaded by kfontinstaller (thanks Craig!). I hope this font will be
in the next XFree86 distribution. See

http://www.btinternet.com/~shaheedhaque/raga.tgz

- kxkb keyboard switching support for Bengali

What is missing:

- keyboard switching does not seem to work for me

If you could get this working, then we would have the foundation for
Devnagari, Hindi etc. as per Unicode (i.e. without proper support for
conjunctions - but there are others working on that).

Let me know if you can work on this!

Thanks, Shaheed