List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: .ppt and .xls filters
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-12-31 12:23:50

Hi all,

> I am just in the middle of a reorg of the .ppt and .xls filters. Basically,
> I am trying to simplify the structure of the .ppt filter (the current
> structure is based on the .doc filter, and is not as easy to work with as
> it could be).
>
> Please can everyone else hold off any commits to these for a few days?

Just to let you know I am done for now.

I was not able to make the changes I wanted to the Excel filter since I could
not get the object recognition to work...there is some very funny stuff going
on. If anyone feels up toa bit of reverse engineering, and can find out how
.xls handles embedded objects, please tell me! And no, don't point me to
OpenOffice.

Anyway, the .ppt, the .msod and .wmf filters have grown more robust parsing,
so it was not a total waste of time.

The structure of the .ppt filter did not change: I think that the current
structure is in fact the right one. Michael, feel free to get stuck in: you
will see that I did not get around to moving the gotSlide() stuff into the
pptdoc layer, but this this not prevent you from getting started. At least
the README says how the design *should* work!

Thanks, Shaheed