List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: I can't print using kword.
From:       "Stephan Hachinger" <stephanhachinger () compuserve ! de>
Date:       2001-11-25 17:58:40

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julien Olivier" <julo@altern.org>
To: <koffice@mail.kde.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 1:12 PM
Subject: I can't print using kword.

> Hi
>
> Sorry to insist but I still can't print with kword. And nobody seems to
have
> the sames problems as I do.
>
> Any document I try to print with kword lacks lines or has mixed letters.
>
> I can reproduce this printing problem only with kword.
>
> If I embed the koffice document into kspread, it prints perfectly !
>
> I'm using KDE-2.2.2 / Koffice 1.1 on Mandrake 8.1 (I installed KDE
Mandrake
> RPMs yesterday) and had the same problem with KDE-2.2.1 / Koffice 1.1.
>
> The font I use comes from Windows 2000. It's Verdana TTF. I don't have the
> same problem on my other PC (exactly same distribution / configuration).
So,
> I imagine it comes from the font. But the fact the problem exists only
using
> kword shows that the problem is font-related but is due to kword, not to
the
> font. Maybe kword uses a special ps rendere that isn't used in kspread...
so
> maybe it's a QT bug... I don't know.
>
> I don't know enough in QT/KDE programming to solve the problem myself. So,
> hope someone will be able to find the problem and fix it for KDE-3
release.

> --
> Julien Olivier

Yeah, isn't that the bug which was discussed a lot some days before ("kword
prints out with letters squashed together" or so)? Embedding other documents
into the kword doc or vice versa solves it... Hmm, there are only some
people who have this problem, but Koffice 1.1.1 will solve it. For the
meantime: There are really some fonts which print out correctly:

--- Copied message ---

Hi Ralph:

 I too have SuSE 7.3. Try using the fonts Courier or Utopia. These two fonts
work ok.

 Here is what I found by printing out various fonts in Kword. NOTE: It
appears that most of these will print out in Kspread. However, if I remember
correctly,  many are mapped to the same font. That is Terminal,
Lucidabright,
Nimbus mono l and Helvetica all print out as Helvetica.

Fonts that print correctly:

Bitstream Charter: fonts are normal in print preview but some lines of
text are missing and embedded png's are not fully rendered. Hard copy
is fine and bold words print correctly.

Courier: print previews correctly and prints correctly. Bold words are
printed correctly.

Luciduxmonolucidux mono: Print previews correctly and prints hard
copies correctly.

Utopia: Some Lines are missing in print preview. hard copy print out is
fine including bold words.

Fonts that don't print preview correctly but do produce good hard
copies with some text features missing.

Fixed: print previews correctly with the exception that bold words are
not displayed as bold. Also bold words in the Kword document are not
bold, in the hard copy.

Luciduxsanslucidux sans: Print preview has missing lines of text. Bold
words are not displayed as bold in print preview nor are they bold on
the hard copy. Rest of text is fine.

Luciduxseriflucidux serif: Some lines of text missing and bold does not
print in preview or on hard copy. Rest of text is fine.

Fonts that have unacceptable corruptions:

Bookman 1: fonts are correctly rendered but again, missing text lines.
On actual print out bolded words are mangled.

Century Schoolbook I: fonts are normal in print preview but lines of
text are missing. Words in bold are mangled or compressed.

Gothic 1: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Helvetica: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Lucida: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Lucidabright: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Lucidatypewriter: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

New century schoolbook: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Nimbus mono l: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

Terminal: Text is compressed together, in print preview.

--
Cheers,

Jonathan

--- end copied message ---