List:       koffice
Subject:    CVS version of kde3 available in rpm and tarballs
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnar () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-25 14:40:58

Hello,

Pardon the interuption, but some people here may want this info:

I am releasing a set of rpm's and tarballs containing yesterday's (11-24-2001)
CVS build. (kdenetwork is from this morning's CVS) These seem to be working
here. They are alpha quality code and should not be used in a production
environment. There... you have been warned. These are NOT an official release
of the KDE team.

They are available at: http://www.pandmservices.com/kde3/  follow the kde3
alpha link. Enjoy! Make sure you get the fixed qt package that is out there
as it includes all the fixes that have been put into qt-copy in CVS.

If you are using either the tarballs or the RPM's you must change your .bashrc
to match that in step 4. KDM is not tested and most likely will not work so
you may want to use run-level 3 (non-graphical) and use "startx" from your
command line. Hopefully in the next set I will fix the config files -
depending on how bored I am :-)

If you are installing the rpm's you will need the qt  tar or rpm and you
may need to use --no-deps to install in some cases.

All the tarballs or RPM's will install into /usr/local and contain different
package names than the current production version of kde so things should not
over-write each other. In other words kde2 and kde3alpha can reside on the
same machine.

 This is a readme file for the tarballs distributed by Chris Molnar
 (molnar@kde.org). These are NOT official releases by the KDE team,
 but rather test packages made for my own testing.

They are built on a Mandrake 8.1 machine, but should run on any system with
 the gcc 2.96 compiler. These packages include some Debug code so they are a
little larger than normal.

Installation:
 1) download all the tarballs. qt is EXTREMELY important, do not skip.

2) untar qt-copy into /usr/local/qt-copy

3) change to / and un-tar the remainder. they should all un-tar into
/usr/local/ path

4) in your .bashrc set:
         export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-copy
         export KDEDIR=/usr/local
         export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

5) I do not run in a graphical login mode so KDM in this version is untested.
I have also done a "urpme libqt2" on my system so you may have a little work
to do mixing the 2 versions. I decided to just use kde3.

6) Repeat after me 20000000 times: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! THIS IS A TEST
VERSION NOT STABLE FOR PRODUCTION USE. REPORT ALL ERRORS TO bugs.kde.org or
better yet to the kde3alpha mailing list! I DO NOT ANSWER BUG EMAIL NOT SENT
TO THE LIST!!!

-Chris
molnar@kde.org