List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Big print problem with kword
From:       Julien Olivier <jo () villafrance ! com>
Date:       2001-11-22 16:59:13

Le Jeudi 22 Novembre 2001 17:32, Craig Drummond a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > I suppose I'm not the first to have this problem but I ask.
> >
> > I've been printing using kword (KDE-2.2.1 on mdk 8.1) for a while
>
> correctly
>
> > (mainly using helvetica).
> >
> > Then, I suppressed Helvetica font with Drakfont and re-installed it
>
> via
>
> > kfontinstaller in userland from kcontrol.
>
> Is your Helvetica a Bitmap/Speedo or TrueType/Type1 font? If it's a
> TrueType/Type1, then I think you'll need to instal the font as root. As
> I've had posts from previous Mandrake users - which state that Mandrake
> uses xfs, and to install fonts for xfs you need to be root.
>
> So - try uins gkfontinst again as root, and see if this helps.
>
> > Now, all the letters are one on the other and sometimes, big parts of
>
> texts
>
> > don't even appear when I use the postscript previsualizer before
>
> printing.
>
> > If I write the same text into kwrite using the same font, no problem.
>
> It just
>
> > prints fine. The same with kspread and konqueror.
> >
> > So, it comes from kword.
> >
> > More over, when trying to change the font in kword, it takes ages to
>
> display
>
> > the fonts in the selector and seems to freeze the whole KDE during 5-
>
> 6
>
> > seconds !
> >
> > I read some threads about such a problem but that always finished by
>
> saying
>
> > "it's a font problem, try to use better fonts". But it's not true, it'
>
> s a
>
> > kword bug because those fonts work fine on other kde-based
>
> applications. Is
>
> > there something specific to kword in the font management ?

My font is a TTF.

I installed it as non-root and it perfectly worked with every other application other \
than kword (including kwrite,kspread or Staroffice).

But, I also tried to install it as root. Guess what ? It totally uninstalled the \
font... There's a big problem.

However, as a simple user I could install the font because it worked with other apps. \
So, I think the problem really comes from kword.

--
Julien Olivier