List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Just curious about the filters
From:       Joel Hammer <Joel () HammersHome ! com>
Date:       2001-10-20 16:37:32

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 04:02:16PM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Friday 19 October 2001 20:44, Joel Hammer wrote:
> |   I am not kidding.
> |   If you have to exchange documents, keep using windows. You can install
> |   win4lin and windows on top of that. Otherwise, you will spend a lot of
> | time messing with reformattting documents. You don't need that.
> |   Joel
>
> Can't agree here.
> >From my experience, Windows users *eat* easily HTML files exported from
> KWord, and PDF files (printed from KWord or any other KDE application)
>
> Yep, I had to answer sometimes questions like "why this document doesn't have
> .doc extension?"
> But I guess easy fix for such winodws users is to name files like
> letter.doc.html, the rest is easy - he/she will see ".doc" extension. :-)

I am currently working with spreadsheets.
I have tried koffice with rh 7.1, staroffice 5.2, quattropro 9 for linux,
Corel office 2000 for windows, and excel (office 97).
Everybody else involved (about 10 different people) uses excel.
The only trouble free import is with excel under win4lin.
With the others, the data and formulas work, but the graphs almost never do.
As an example,  just tried to import an excel spreadsheet into
quattropro, and the graph excel made from a histogram crashed quattropro.
It would be very difficult (not impossible)  for me to use linux at home to work on these
spreadsheets if I didn't use win4lin and excel.
BTW, I am not give too much up using excel. The only spreadsheet with a built in AOVA
module to allow ANOVA with unequal sample sizes was
excel.  Quattropro gave wrong answers (tries to include empty cells) and
StarOffice and Koffice didn't even have built in ANOVA modules.
Joel