List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Just curious about the filters
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-10-20 13:20:25

On Friday 19 October 2001 20:44, Joel Hammer wrote:
|   I am not kidding.
|   If you have to exchange documents, keep using windows. You can install
|   win4lin and windows on top of that. Otherwise, you will spend a lot of
| time messing with reformattting documents. You don't need that.
|   Joel

Can't agree here.
From my experience, Windows users *eat* easily HTML files exported from
KWord, and PDF files (printed from KWord or any other KDE application)

Yep, I had to answer sometimes questions like "why this document doesn't have
.doc extension?"
But I guess easy fix for such winodws users is to name files like
letter.doc.html, the rest is easy - he/she will see ".doc" extension. :-)

Besides, Word 2000 reads KWord-exported HTML *with pleasure*, and save it
later in somewhat *screwed up* HTML format with "Microsoft Schemas"
additions, but such format is still readable/usable in KDE.
May be, a good idea can be to have Import filter for KWord which will read
such MS Word-exported HTML and translate some of extra data MS puts into this
file, into KWord's native XML.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)