List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    re: improving task manager interaction
From:       Ryan Breen <ryan () porivo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-02 23:57:39

Guys,

From a usability perspective, I'm addicted to Outlook's systemtray
notification, so I created something similar for KMail.  After implementing
the change, I saw this thread as well as bugs 28291 and 30427 in the mailing
list archives.  I figured I would post to see if there was enough interest
for me to flesh out the changes (it's very raw right now) to be included in
future versions.

Here is what my new code provides:
1) Addition of new class KMSystemTray, extending KSystemTray.  Uses the
Icon::Small kmail icon.
2) Integration with KMAcctMgr to make the KMSystemTray visible when new mail
arrives for any account.  Context menu shows the accounts which received new
mail.

KMAcctMgr seemed like a sensible place to put the KMSystemTray icon because
(AFAICT) there will always be only one instance, and it will provide
notification regardless of account type (pop, imap, etc).  If mainwin or
KMKernel makes more sense, it's easy enough to relocate the systemtray
instance.

Things that need to get done (in order from sooner to later):
1) KMSystemTray icon should hide itself when all new mail has been read.
2) Clicking on account in context menu should select the first visible
message in that account.
3) Need to add an option to the kcontrol widget to turn this feature off.
4) Someone mentioned filtering which messages trigger the notification, maybe
allow notification to be folder, rather than account, driven.
5) Suggestions?

Sorry for the over{long,zealous} mail -- first post jitters.  Obligatory
screenshot at http://booch.homeip.net/kmail.png

Take care,
Ryan