List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: improving task manager interaction
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <ingo.kloecker () epost ! de>
Date:       2001-09-04 20:06:28

On Montag, 3. September 2001 01:57, Ryan Breen wrote:
> From a usability perspective, I'm addicted to Outlook's systemtray
> notification, so I created something similar for KMail.  After
> implementing the change, I saw this thread as well as bugs 28291 and
> 30427 in the mailing list archives.  I figured I would post to see if
> there was enough interest for me to flesh out the changes (it's very
> raw right now) to be included in future versions.

At least I'm interested.

> Here is what my new code provides:
> 1) Addition of new class KMSystemTray, extending KSystemTray.  Uses
> the Icon::Small kmail icon.
> 2) Integration with KMAcctMgr to make the KMSystemTray visible when
> new mail arrives for any account.  Context menu shows the accounts
> which received new mail.
>
> KMAcctMgr seemed like a sensible place to put the KMSystemTray icon
> because (AFAICT) there will always be only one instance, and it will
> provide notification regardless of account type (pop, imap, etc).  If
> mainwin or KMKernel makes more sense, it's easy enough to relocate
> the systemtray instance.
>
> Things that need to get done (in order from sooner to later):
> 1) KMSystemTray icon should hide itself when all new mail has been
> read.
> 2) Clicking on account in context menu should select the first
> visible message in that account.

This isn't that important. IMHO 3 and 4 should be done before.

> 3) Need to add an option to the kcontrol widget to turn this feature
> off.
> 4) Someone mentioned filtering which messages trigger the
> notification, maybe allow notification to be folder, rather than
> account, driven.

This would indeed be very nice.

> 5) Suggestions?
>
> Sorry for the over{long,zealous} mail -- first post jitters.
> Obligatory screenshot at http://booch.homeip.net/kmail.png

You don't see much on this screenshot (except that there is a nice
KMail icon in the system tray). It would be nice if you could post a
patch so that we can see how it works so far.

Regards,
Ingo