List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    KMail and QT 3
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-08-31 18:45:54

Hi,

For those that haven't tried it yet: KMail now basically runs with QT 3, but
with some problems. Most of them seem to be located in kdelibs.

However it appears, that index files produced with KMail compiled against QT3
or QT2 are incompatible, which results in Chinese characters and rectangles
displayed instead of latin characters and in broken sorting when upgrading.

Scanning through all headers with arrow right fixes the issue, but with
200000 local mails that might be a bit hard :-)

That happens, because Trolltech decided to change the byte order in
QString/QChar from big endian to little endian.
There are basically two solutions:
- Do byte swapping to remain compatible
- Write a legacy importing function

I guess, if favour of better performance, we have to choose the second method
and change the index file format again though.

Long term, it would probably really be nice, if the status information would
be stored also in the mbox file like it works for maildir and we wouldn't
have these kind of problems.

Regards,
Michael Häckel