List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Open Request to KDE and Gnome for plugin support
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-31 19:26:22

On Thursday 31 May 2001 08:35, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> On Thursday 31 May 2001 16:51, Richard Bos wrote:
> ..
>
> > "If the Linux desktop teams will provide for plugin support," says
> > Bynari's Insight team leaders, "we can provide the plugins. That can only
> > help Linux gain market share."
> >
> > http://linuxpr.com/releases/3719.html
>
> So what does this 'we can provide' mean exactly?

I have been in contact with Bynari and it seems that:

> *  'We will start advertizing our plug-ins to the Linux community,
>     hoping Linux users will BUY our plug-ins!'

is the most accurate description.

I do think that having an extendible plugin architecture is a Good Thing (tm)
but I don't expect that many people will start working on such a thing just
for them.

E.g. I can imagine a scenario where KMail allows you to specify an io-slave
other than pop3 or imap. The handling of pop3 and imap in kmail is quite
different though, so it would be interesting to see how you would describe
the desired behaviour for a new io-slave.

Perhaps the API should be on a higher level, e.g. being able to plug in a
third party KMFolder class. It might be interesting to have a look at the
Java Mail API in that respect.
(http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/1.2/docs/javadocs/index.html)

Cheers,
Waldo