List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz () uni-bielefeld ! de>
Date:       2001-05-31 10:05:52

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:42, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:16, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > OTOH, the _threads_ (as opposed to the messages) are sorted by date
> > and there's no good reason to sort them differently.
>
> That's not true. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to sort
> them by subject or by sender. Just because you like to sort them by
> date it's not sure that everybody else does it the same way. The
> subjects can well be more important than the dates, especially in
> long (in terms of time) threads.
<snip>

See, you didn't read carefully. It said _threads_ (as opposed to the
messages they contain) are sorted by date. Yet you start talking about
"esp. in long [...] threads". No. I'll try again:

_Inside_ threads messages are organized by parent-child relationships.
Not by subject, not by date, not by size, not by sender.

Do we agree that this is the only way to arrange messages _inside_ a
thread?

The _threads_ are sorted by date, either descending or ascending.
there's no point in sorting _threads_ by size (well, maybe you want to
see which thread got the most volume) or sender (you have "search
messages for that") or subject (subjects are completely uncorrelated
(it they were, the messages would be inside a common thread), so
there's no point in sorting them, if you want to find a particular
message, use "search").

> > So making a new column that indicates threading puts the threading
> > option where it belongs: on the same level as "sort by
> > {size,sender,date}".
>
> I really don't understand how you want to do that. Would you put the
> indentation for threading into a separate column? I must be
> misunderstanding something here.
<snip>

Look at netscape mail.

Marc