List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz () uni-bielefeld ! de>
Date:       2001-05-31 9:59:57

On Thursday 31 May 2001 01:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
<snip>
> I have to support Michael's opinion. I like the number of unread
> messages directly behind the folder name very much. I have some
> folders with long names and my folder list is pretty small so that it
> doesn't take up too much space.
<snip>

Sorry, but this 'takes too much space' agrument is totally bogus.
Here's why:

Assume you have long folder names. Let the longest be
"my-longest-folder-name". Currently, you have to allow additional space
for the number of unread messages to be diplayed, plus the parantheses.
So it looks like

+ my topfolder
  + my subfolder
    + my-longest-folder-name (25)

Right? OK, now simply remove the (25) from that and the folder anem
entry gets shorter. Of course. Now, use the gained space to add a
column. Make it auto-adjust to the width of the contents. Voila: It
takes the space that was formerly taken by the "(25)" string.

+ my topfolder
  + my subfolder
    + my-longest-folder-name  25

So there's no (or very minimal, a few pixels at most) space lost.

But what about the "total" column? Well, if you want it, you can get
it, if you don't want it, you simply turn it off (maybe right-click on
header shows context menu with

remove "total"
show "blah"
show "blubb"

where "blah" and "blubb" are hidden columns?

But you don't even need to make the columns shown config'able: A
QListView can be programmed to push headers off the right border, if
the horizontal space is too small. See the message list for what I
mean. It does it this way. So you could position the cols so that only
"Folders" and "unread" are shown, but "totals" is in the "off", as an
actor would say.

See? No space lost. So where do _you_ lose space, I ask?

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>
http://marc.mutz.com/