List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH : scoring, take 2
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-04-16 9:42:01

On Monday, 16. April 2001 10:46, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> This patch should be better than the 1st one. As Michael suggested, the
> score is put in the QListViewItems. There is no check for whether there are
> rules for the group or not yet, but I tried it on a fairly large folder
> (several thousands of msg) and didn't notice any serious slowdown.

A lot of hard working people these days :-)

The patch is much better, than the last one, so far right.

However I still consider a slowdown of 100% serious especially since that is
much more than the speed gained by Sams patch. It is much better than 700%
slowdown of course. It that would be only in folders with scoring that would
be acceptable.

BTW: Are you sure that it is not faster, if you use "const QCString&" instead
of QString, since the message might not be copied then or is that anyway not
the case? I don't know the internals of QT that good. Possibly you have to
look at the CPU usage via top, since the harddisc could be the limiting
element here instead of the CPU.

I still think, that only messages in folders with a scoring rule defined
should be scored before this patch goes into CVS because of that slowdown and
also because of the score column displayed in all folders.

Also I still didn't manage to get any score displayed in the score column
which makes the patch pretty useless for me although I get following
debugging output when switching to that folder. Don't know if I'm doing
something wrong though.

12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() begin
12125 libkdenetwork: created cache for group KDE-cvs with 1 rules
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : setting score 200 to msg 218 (CVS
by haeckel)
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : score = 200
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : setting score 200 to msg 657 (CVS
by haeckel)
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : score = 200
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : setting score 200 to msg 2243 (CVS
by
haeckel)
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : score = 200
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : setting score 200 to msg 2745 (CVS
by
haeckel)
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() : score = 200
12125 kmail: KMHeaders::scoreMessages() end

The score dialog still has a few bugs, but they are probably in libkdenetwork.

Regards,
Michael Häckel