List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail wishlist/bugs
From:       Christoph Rohland <cr () sap ! com>
Date:       2001-04-06 12:20:55

Hi Michael,

On 2001-03-24, Michael Häckel wrote:
> I myself currently only use it for copying the content of my various
> sent-mail folders on different computers to a central place, since
> the incoming mails anyway arrive everywhere.

Here I would like to put some comments and experiences into the
discussion:

A long time I was quite opposed to the concept of a central mail
server but always pushed the 'Put my mail on my box' mantra.

Then I heard about the cyrus mail server and started playing with
it. It took me about two weeks to come to the state where I would not
go back!

To describe the setup and needs:

1) I store _all_ mail on the server
2) I can access this from everywhere and any machine
3) It keeps the flags on the server, not the client. So if I switch
   the machine or go with the web frontend I still see what I did read
   or marked important in other sessions or machines. So if my laptop
   crashes or gets lost I do not loose my data. (This could probably be
   further improved by using ACAP.)
4) I do share special folders with single colleages.
5) My mail reader (xemacs with gnus) can do offline caching. Thus if I
   am on the road I simply synchronise and then cut the connection.

> Also people complain about KMail being slow with huge folders,
> switching between huge IMAP folders is surely _much_ slower
> independant of the client.

No, I do not think so. IMAP is very fast in my experience and has a
lot of features to speed up net access. Of course you are accessing
over the network, but this is the price you pay for the advantages 2-4
and a good caching mechanism makes this go away also.

So let me repeat: I would never go back to local store. IMHO it is
inflexible and unreliable.

Greetings
		Christoph