List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fcc folder and trash cleaning (Re: feature freeze or not ?)
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-31 16:12:09

On Wednesday 31 January 2001 07:07, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> > > I find this sentence not clear enough. What is the limit for ? I'm okay
> > > for a new sentence, but it should be clear.
>
> What about asking Don? He should really know a good English expression. ;-)

If you want my vote I think the original "In trash, on exit, remove messages
older than" was ok. It is awkward but I can't think of an improvement.

> > About the fcc folder patch:
> > - If I select View->All Fields in the composer, then the fcc field is not
> >   displayed although it is also a field.
> > - It doesn't work well with queuing. When queuing several messages and
> > then sending the queue, only the last message goes where it should. The
> > others go to sent-mail. The information should be better stored in a
> > X-KMail-Fcc header that is again removed before sending.
> > - Maybe a sticky checkbox would be nice, like for the Mail Transport and
> > the identity? Well I currently don't fully understand the purpose of this
> > feature. The current effort of setting the fcc folder is at least the
> > same if not more effort, as sorting the mails in the sent-mail folder
> > later.
>
> I'll definitely test (and use) the trash cleaning patch only (I hope I'll
> find some time tonight, I'll have to stay long at the office). I think,
> many people will be interested in this function.

Agreed. Trash cleaning sounds very good. I would definitely like to see the
idea generalized to other folders. I normally delete mail in bulk so this
would be useful for me.

It would also be very nice if folder compaction could be optimized. As
Philippe noticed it is horribly inefficient. And finally it would be nice if
the cleaning up could be optinally done periodically instead of only on exit.
(But these are merely wishes, the basic idea is good and valuable).

> About the fcc folder patch I tend to think like Michael. Having a sticky
> entry, then all messages go into the same folder. In fact, there is no big
> difference to using sent-mail folder. OTOH changing the folder for each
> mail manually is not what I intend to use.
> The best approach would be to have filter rules applying automaticly for
> this too. But I think, I can have filters already now and apply them
> manually my sent messages.

Agreed again. Maybe it's better to just have an "Apply filters to outgoing
mail" option.

BFN,
Don.