List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: My patch
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-31 14:55:05

On Tuesday 31 October 2000 02:47, Michael Haeckel wrote:

> > Can I please apply my patch to CVS tonight?  I haven't received any
> > feedback on it.  Already patches are going in which cause conflicts with
> > mine.  It's much to difficult to merge this patch with others.
>
> My opinion is, that if you volunteer to bugfix all problems caused by it,
> then it's ok, but I'm not the maintainer.

  I obviously can't spend all my time on this.  I will commit to some
bugfixes but I have to balance school, family, kmail and kssl.  You can guess
which two are on the loser end of the scale.  Of course I'll fix bugs when I
can, but I can't be "on call" to fix bugs at any time.  I've been trying to
hold off committing this so everyone can give it a try first, but I'm not
going to sit here and rework the patch because all kinds of commits happen in
kmmessage/kmmsgpart which conflict with it.  It's too much work.  This is why
I want to get it in asap.  If you had a look at the patch, you know that it's
really huge and complicated (although I suspect it may have reduced the size
of all the files it touched).

  Furthermore, this patch is really needed.  It's not really an option imho.
Right now we just can't support certain types of emails, and on others we do
things in a very ugly way.  If we don't deal with the design issues now, we
will never be able to [easily] fix them and we'll have to deal with them
forever.  This is not good.

   So, you can't expect me to fix things Right Now.  Of course I won't
abondon you guys as soon as the code goes in.  I still have many more patches
to commit after.

--

George Staikos