List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: The future of mimelib
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-20 13:43:49

First of all, sorry for forwarding the original mail again to the list.
I had tomatoes on my eyes ;-)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Marco Zühlke wrote:
[...]
> Mimelib on it's own couls handle multiparts but there's the ugly problem
> with 2 different string classes and kmail handles messages thru
> kmessage...

Yes.

> So I took a (short) look at the library from empath (librmm),
> but I don't get the clue and after reading the archives I realized that
> the POP3 (and IMAP) stuff is not part of that library (like in mimelib).
>
> I know ( from a university project) the javamail API very well
> and think that it implements all the required thing to handle email.
> (Messages, Parts, Stores (POP,IMAP,NNTP), Folders ....)
> The API is very small and easy to understand (IMO). So I'll try to
> implement the same API in C++ so that kmail could use it.

You can have a look at kdenonbeta/libkmsg. There I started
a mimelib replacement which is 80% done.

I cannot recommend rewriting the stuff once again, but I won't hold
you back if you want to do it.

The first and most important rule in kmail development is:
keep it usable.

> I'm posting that here and now, that the kmail developer
> can stand up and say "We'll never use that crapp" or "If it looks
> good maybe". Because I don't want to waste my time programming for
> the waste basket.

I don't know you, nor your skills as a programmer.
Unfortunately I still don't have time to push such a radical change.

> Or are there any other plans how to improve handling of multipart-
> messages
> and IMAP - Parts in the future ??

Have a look at the kdenonbeta package if you like the API of
libkmsg. It has basically support for IMAP and other protocols too.

--Stefan