List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: The future of mimelib
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2000-06-20 13:08:53

Hello Marco,

Marco Zühlke schrieb:

> Hello !!
>
> First a big thank to this wonderful piece of
> software (kmail).
>
> I realized that handling of multipart mails is
> not that well. After reading a lot of sourcecode
> I saw that it would be hard to implement this in
> the current structure, because the classes kmmessage
> has a list of parts, but a part can't have parts too.

Right. It's one of the problems in the current version.

> Mimelib on it's own couls handle multiparts but there's the ugly problem
> with 2 different string classes and kmail handles messages thru
> kmessage...
>
> So I took a (short) look at the library from empath (librmm),
> but I don't get the clue and after reading the archives I realized that
> the POP3 (and IMAP) stuff is not part of that library (like in mimelib).
>
> I know ( from a university project) the javamail API very well
> and think that it implements all the required thing to handle email.
> (Messages, Parts, Stores (POP,IMAP,NNTP), Folders ....)
> The API is very small and easy to understand (IMO). So I'll try to
> implement the same API in C++ so that kmail could use it.
>
> I'm posting that here and now, that the kmail developer
> can stand up and say "We'll never use that crapp" or "If it looks
> good maybe". Because I don't want to waste my time programming for
> the waste basket.
> Or are there any other plans how to improve handling of multipart-
> messages
> and IMAP - Parts in the future ??

As far as I know, some people are working on IMAP support. And there are
plans to improve the handling of parts. Unfortunatly I can't tell you
details about this, I only take care about the PGP integration (no time
for more tasks).

Before you start, you should wait for answers at least from Stefan,
Daniel and Don (maintainer). - Sorry, if I forgot one who is working on
these topics too.

I'm sure, they will tell you more about this.

Andreas