List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    The future of mimelib
From:       Marco =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Z=FChlke?= <marco.zuehlke () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-06-20 11:23:15

Hello !!

First a big thank to this wonderful piece of
software (kmail).

I realized that handling of multipart mails is
not that well. After reading a lot of sourcecode
I saw that it would be hard to implement this in
the current structure, because the classes kmmessage
has a list of parts, but a part can't have parts too.

Mimelib on it's own couls handle multiparts but there's the ugly problem
with 2 different string classes and kmail handles messages thru
kmessage...

So I took a (short) look at the library from empath (librmm),
but I don't get the clue and after reading the archives I realized that
the POP3 (and IMAP) stuff is not part of that library (like in mimelib).

I know ( from a university project) the javamail API very well
and think that it implements all the required thing to handle email.
(Messages, Parts, Stores (POP,IMAP,NNTP), Folders ....)
The API is very small and easy to understand (IMO). So I'll try to
implement the same API in C++ so that kmail could use it.

I'm posting that here and now, that the kmail developer
can stand up and say "We'll never use that crapp" or "If it looks
good maybe". Because I don't want to waste my time programming for
the waste basket.
Or are there any other plans how to improve handling of multipart-
messages
and IMAP - Parts in the future ??

regards
-Marco