List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: 4/22 cvsup compiles but crashes
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-04-22 23:54:50

> Can you get a backtrace from gdb?
>
> cd to you kde/bin directory
>
> gdb kmail
> run
> bt
>
> and copy the output and send it to this list.

when i do this, a kmail window opens and remains -- and is entirely
unresponsive
bash$ gdb kmail
GNU gdb 4.17.0.11 with Linux/x86 hardware watchpoint and FPU support
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-COL-linux"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/opt/kde2/bin/kmail
bt
Qt: gdb: -nograb added to command-line options.
         Use the -dograb option to enforce grabbing.
entering KMKernel::init()
load # kmail addressbook file
[addressbook entries appear]
iconloader (kdelibs): Theme tree: (KDE-HiColor: (KDE-LoColor))
exiting KMKernel::init()
KMKernel::openReader called
iconloader (kdelibs): Theme tree: (KDE-HiColor: (KDE-LoColor))
khtml (html): HTMLDocumentImpl constructor2 this = 0x82c8820
khtml (css): empty property list
khtml (css): bad style rule
khtml (css): child selector
khtml (css): bad style rule
khtml (html): style: parsing sheet 'a[href] { color:
#0000ff;text-decoration: none; }'
khtml (css): found body element
khtml (render): RenderRoot(RenderObject)::setContainingBlock()
containingBlock == 0, setting to this
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
0x40abf427 in QString::QString ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40abf427 in QString::QString ()
#1  0x80aeeae in KDialog::marginHint ()
#2  0x80ac749 in KDialog::marginHint ()
#3  0x80ac3bb in KDialog::marginHint ()
#4  0x80ab9e0 in KDialog::marginHint ()
#5  0x40b2fb05 in QObject::activate_signal ()
#6  0x40c9cb2f in QTimer::timeout ()
#7  0x40b759f6 in QTimer::event ()
#8  0x40ad68ea in QApplication::notify ()
#9  0x40a697e9 in qt_activate_timers ()
#10 0x40a67a2a in QApplication::processNextEvent ()
#11 0x40ad7ead in QApplication::enter_loop ()
#12 0x40a677a1 in QApplication::exec ()
#13 0x81194bd in KDialog::marginHint ()
#14 0x40f75b0f in __libc_start_main ()
(gdb)

> That's gives me something I can post to core asking for it to be fixed.

okay; there it is.

> Unfortunately the libraries have been fairly unstable over the last couple of
> weeks, apart from that all I can suggest is try to update and try again.

did; no joy. is this certainly a libraries issue? i ask because it's
relatively easier to update the libs alone than the whole show.

--
dep