List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Full Text Indexing for KMAIL: SUBMISSION
From:       Luís_Pedro_Coelho <luis () luispedro ! org>
Date:       2005-06-01 14:28:07

On Monday 30 May 2005 23:46, Luís Pedro Coelho wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2005 22:04, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > So we should probably put it directly into kdepim for now? What do you
> > think?
>
> There is one small problem with that: the boost dependency. I don't think
> boost is very widespread. I deal with it by including it in my source
> distribution. The bzipped tarball has a total size of 1.5MB so it's
> manageable. However, the expanded source for boost occupies a cool 24MB. I
> think this is too much for kdepim, no?
>
> I will look into this dependency tomorrow and see whether it can be worked
> away or reduced.

I have looked into this trying two approaches: (1) keeping my code but trying
to copy as little from boost as possible but boost is very intertwined: you
can't just get a bit of it, it always pulls a bit of something else and (2)
reimplementing boost's code by hand. Most of it is not that difficult since I
use so little, but I have found a couple of hard spost: especially the
template meta-programming bit just used once, but in code which is central to
the whole thing. This will probably cost a three or four days of work
(especially making it portable will be hard) and boost just works. The
alternative is writing a log of code by hand which is a pain too.

Notice that there is no public dependency: if you compile my package, then you
do not need boost, ie. boost is *not* included by any installed header. If
someone prepares RPMs or .debs then you do not need boost (I am on Darwin/ppc
so my binaries probably wouldn't run on your machine:).

So, if you insist I will try to port the code to kill the dependency, but I
really rather keep it separate.

bye,
--
luispedro