List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Splash screen while waiting for IMAP data to be fetched (Re:
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 21:30:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 30 May 2005 22:25, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 22:18, Matt Douhan wrote:
> > I am seing the same thing and the flickering makes one wonder what
> > is happening, I of course knows since I was there at the meeting,
> > but I think others might be driven nuts about it.
>
> One really hacky solution would be to make sure the splash is shown
> at least half a second. I.e., if data is ready before, just delay it.
>
> I for one won't mind, since as I said I mostly have delays of 1-2
> seconds and sometimes even more if the splash appears at all, but
> artificially delaying KMail doesn't sound too nice to me.
>
> Better alternatives more than welcome.

As I already replied to Carsten's message on kde-commits it's probably
possible to get an estimate for the remaining time that's needed for
folder listing. Then the splash could be suppressed if the folder
listing appears to be finished in less than another 500 (?) msec. OTOH,
getting a good estimate is maybe not possible.

Regards,
Ingo