List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Serial number-related trouble, again
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 21:00:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 30 May 2005 03:17, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2005 00:32, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Well, if a message is show in the main window and in the separate
> > window then it's both times the same message. It's just two
> > different representations of the message (cf. model-view). The
> > serial number connects the views (and all actions which work on
> > messages) with the message in the folder.
> >
> > Of course, this leads to problems if a message which is shown in
> > the separate reader window is deleted by the user. There are two
> > ways KMail could react:
> > a) Automatically close the separate reader window which shows the
> > deleted message.
> > b) Keep everything working as if the message wouldn't have been
> > deleted.
> >
> > ad a) I guess we all agree that this option sucks and thus is not
> > the way to go.
> >
> > ad b) The problem with this is that we will have to make all
> > actions work on serial number _and_ on KMMessage objects. Obviously
> > that does also suck. So currently the only solution I see is as
> > follows: - All actions work exclusively on serial numbers.
> > - Normally all message views reference the same serial
> > number/physical message.
> > - If a message is deleted in one view while it's still referenced
> > in another view (well, actually only if it's still referenced in a
> > separate message window) then we have to put a temporary
> > (complete?)
>
> (complete, yes I concur).
>
> > copy of the message somewhere (in a local folder on
> > disk? just in memory?)
>
> (local folder on disk is best/required I think. We seem to
> need some kind of working folder to put messages in).
>
> > and assign it a new serial number. Or in
> > fact we could simply keep the serial number.
>
> Yes if it's a move we could even keep the serial number.
> Maybe that would keep things quite simple.
>
> > An alternative to putting a temporary copy into some other folder
> > would be to delay the deletion of the message until the message is
> > no longer needed. Obviously this requires reference counting of the
> > serial numbers.
>
> I like the first alternative better.

But it sucks with respect to IMAP. Since you said we'd need the complete
message then this means that for each message which is shown in the
separate message window the complete messages (including all
attachments) would have to be downloaded from the IMAP server even if
the user won't need the attachments. I don't think the first
alternative is a reasonable solution.

Regards,
Ingo