List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Multiple selection support for the filter dialog
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-31 19:55:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 10:52, Don Sanders wrote:
> There are still a few areas of contention that I can see. However I'm
> glad because I think I can proceed with implementing this design and
> reconsider these areas of contention at a later date.
>
> The areas of possible contention I'm concerned with are:
> 1) Whether filters should be applied by default to IMAP accounts.
>
> I think this makes sense for new IMAP accounts, but I don't want to
> automatically change behavior for existing IMAP accounts.

The best solution is probably to ask the user after the creation of a
new IMAP account: "Should new messages for this account be filtered?"

> 2) Operating on multiple filters simultaneously.
>
> I see how this advanced tab design gives an 'overview about the
> status of all accounts' for a particular filter. But there is still
> the problem of existing IMAP users who (currently manually apply
> filters but) want to use filters on incoming mail. It would be
> preferable if they didn't have to iterate through each filter
> toggling on the 'Apply for all accounts' checkbox.

It could be made possible to change multiple filters (i.e. all selected
filters) at once. Of course, this means we are back to tri-state. Maybe
the tri-state is better displayed by a combobox with three entries than
with a checkbox.

Regards,
Ingo