List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Multiple selection support for the filter dialog
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-31 8:52:03

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 07:28, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> I favor an advanced tab with
>
> Apply on incoming messages:
> [ ] Apply for all accounts
> [ ] Apply only for
>    [ ] Receiving Account 1
>    [ ] Receiving Account 2
>
> Apply on outgoing messages:
> [ ] Apply for all accounts
> [ ] Apply only for
>    [ ] Sending Account 1
>
> Apply on manual filtering:
> [ ] Apply on all messages
> [ ] Apply only for
>    [ ] Message in local folders
>    [ ] Message on IMAP Account 1

I like this proposal, good one. I will begin implementing it.

I might keep things simple to begin with and keep the outgoing
messages, and manual filtering options as single checkboxes, and only
showing a list for the incoming messages.

> In all cases the default should be "Apply (on|for) all (accounts|
> folders)".
>
> The pros of this solution are:
> a) The complexity is hidden from the normal user.

Yes.

> b) The UI is easy to use and doesn't hide any information.

Yes and that is advantage of using a combobox.

> One con:
> a) Since there might be many accounts the detailed account
> selections have to be put into some scrollview, i.e. a QListBox
> variant with checkboxes before each entry.

Yes.

There are still a few areas of contention that I can see. However I'm
glad because I think I can proceed with implementing this design and
reconsider these areas of contention at a later date.

The areas of possible contention I'm concerned with are:
1) Whether filters should be applied by default to IMAP accounts.

I think this makes sense for new IMAP accounts, but I don't want to
automatically change behavior for existing IMAP accounts.

2) Operating on multiple filters simultaneously.

I see how this advanced tab design gives an 'overview about the status
of all accounts' for a particular filter. But there is still the
problem of existing IMAP users who (currently manually apply filters
but) want to use filters on incoming mail. It would be preferable if
they didn't have to iterate through each filter toggling on the
'Apply for all accounts' checkbox.

Don.