List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Multiple selection support for the filter dialog
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-26 17:28:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 August 2004 10:54, Don Sanders wrote:
> Does anyone object to updating the filter dialog to support multiple
> selection support? Specifically I mean changing kmfilterdlg.*, so
> that the selection mode of the mListBox is set to Extended. And
> making sure the rest of the code is updated to work after that
> change.
>
> I would like to do make this change because it could improve the
> quality of the filter dialog, and because it seems to be a nice basis
> for the GUI work on client side IMAP filtering improvement I'm
> currently working on.
>
> This change could improve the quality of the filter dialog for two
> main reasons. Firstly it would allow multiple filters to be
> moved/deleted simultaneously. (I recall requests for this but don't
> remember a bug number). Secondly while the Filter Criteria and Filter
> Actions groupboxes would have to be disabled when multiple filters
> are selected all of the controls in the advanced group box could
> still be used. This last point requires further explanation.

The first reason makes sense although I don't see how moving several
non-consecutive filters should work with the Up/Down arrow buttons.
Example: You have five filters a, b, c, d, e (in this order).
1) You select b and d. You press down. What should happen?
a, c, b, d, e? (i.e. b goes on done)
a, c, e, b, d? (i.e. all selected filters are moved after the filter
after the last selected filter)
a, c, b, e, d? (i.e. all selected filters are moved one filter down)

2) You select b and e. You press down (or should this not be possible?).
What should happen?

The second reason is rather academic. I don't really see a use case for
changing the advanced settings of several filters at once. The main
reason is that I rarely, if ever make changes to the advanced settings
of existing filters. Is there actually a wish for being able to change
the advanced settings of multiple filters?

Let me summarize my opinion:
Multiple selection should be possible.
- Deletion should always be possible regardless of the selection.
- Moving should only be possible if the selection is consecutive.
- I don't think the advanced settings should be changeable exactly
because tri-state buttons are a much to difficult concept.

Regards,
Ingo