List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail drag and drop
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-26 16:55:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 August 2004 15:30, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] wrote:
> > Using DCOP KMail can be instructed to show a mail by using showMail
> > as defined in kmail/kmailIface.h.
> >
> > k_dcop_signals:
> > k_dcop_hidden:
>
> !! Wasn't knowing the existence of that (but never studied deeply
> DCOP).

That's pretty new.

> > But all of these interfaces are private kdepim interfaces, they are
> > subject to change without notification and are intended for
> > internal kdepim usage only.
>
> Ho. Bad news.
> Do you forsee to make it public?
> Would be very usefull (at least in my case, but for user scripting
> too, I think...).

The problem with making it public is that we then have to stick to the
dcop calls to stay compatible with external applications. So we have to
come up with a dcop API which is good enough for being made public.

> > [seb@localhost seb]$ dcop kmail KMailIface showMail 1 "mId"
> > no such function
> > [seb@localhost seb]$ dcop kmail KMailIface showMail
> > no such function
>
> OK... Hum I will learn DCOP (and how to use hidden methods, if
> possible) and go back after that :-)

Hmm, AFAIK hidden DCOP calls should be usable via the dcop command. The
only difference to public calls should have been that the hidden calls
are not listed by dcop. But they should have been usable by people who
know about the calls.

> And what is the need for a QString messageId when a Q_UINT32
> serialNumber is here? Seem the same for me.

The messageId is in fact ignored by KMail. I don't know why it's there.
But that shows why it was good not to make this DCOP call public. Since
it's hidden we can easily remove the messageId parameter without having
to provide backwards compatibility.

> I could try to begin to code with that MailSummary and showMail (if
> I'm allowed to call it)...
> But it could be good to have official KMail support.
>
> And what about the "message/rfc-822" appending and/or mbox?

We could think about adding "message/rfc-822". This would also make it
possible to simply drag a message to the desktop to copy/save it there.
Adding mbox is currently a bit difficult because there's no MIME type
for mbox, but there's now at least a proposal for application/mbox so
this might change soon.

Regards,
Ingo