List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Nother gotcha in 3.3-beta2
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-30 23:25:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 31 July 2004 00:21, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I've been trying to trace down why messages that really should have
> been left alone in the inbox since converting from 3.2 to 3.3-beta2
> have actually been shuffled off to the JunqueMail folder, and finally
> found that (with the help of the filter logging kmail now has, thank
> you very much) that if the check sequence got past all the whitelists
> and into the spam filters lower in the filter listing displayed, then
> it automaticly got stuck in the JunqueMail folder without a match
> being logged.
>
> I'm not sure if kmail didn't like the formattng of some of my older
> rules or what, but I found that it had cleared the test phrases, but
> not the actions of several rules.
>
> I dunno if that was intentional or what, but it did take me several
> days to run down all instances of this in my filter list.  Is this
> considered to be a bug?

No, that's intended behavior. If there are no criteria then we assume
that the filter actions should be executed unconditionally. From the
mathematical, logical point of view this assumption is correct because
if there are no criteria then obviously all/any of the criteria match.

> Since spamassasin is now an option, is there a setup tutorial
> someplace describing how to make it work with this new kmail?

Simply execute Tools->Anti-Spam Wizard. It should be self-explaining. If
you still have questions then check the section about the Anti-Spam
Wizard in KMail's manual.

FWIW, since we can't check whether using the spamd/spamc combination
will work (because spamc can't give us this information) the Anti-Spam
Wizard only supports the usage of the much slower spamassassin perl
script. Therefore you should change the filter which is created by the
wizard by replacing 'spamassassin -L' with 'spamc' (provided spamd, the
spamassassin daemon, is running on your system).

Regards,
Ingo