List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: a threading oddity
From:       Till Adam <adam () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-06-30 7:01:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 June 2004 09:29, Till Adam wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 2004 08:32, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> > Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > > (KMail in KDE 3.2.2 FC1)
> > >
> > > I "lost" a message after I moved it into a folder. I was pretty sure I
> > > still had it, so I did a search on all my folders and found it. It had
> > > been threaded below an earlier message from another sender with the
> > > same Subject. 2 different senders sent me a message with the same
> > > Subject months apart, and the new one is nested below the old one.
> > > That's not right is it?
> >
> > You have the "Thread also on subject" flag on. Disable it from the menu.
>
> Actually, please send me those two mails that wrongly got threaded
> together, if they are not too personal. The subject threading algorithm
> should have caught that case, if they are more than 60 days or so apart,
> date wise, they should not be assumed to be from the same thread even if
> the subject is the same.

[Jerome sent me the two messages]

Jerome, the two messages you sent me are not threaded by subject, they are
threaded because the second has an In-Reply-To header which points to the
first. That's probably the result of reused Message-Id headers, which should
not happen. Whatever generated those mails is to blame, I'm afraid, KMail
threaded them exactly as the relationship in the headers requires, one as a
reply to the other.

Cheerio,

Till