List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: kill running jobs so that kmail exits
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2004-04-29 16:45:51

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 23:16, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 22:53, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 April 2004 21:59, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > You are only handling the case that it's the main window that's
> > > closed. You don't handle the case that one of the secondary windows
> > > (composer or message window) is closed as last window. At least, I
> > > don't see why KMMainWin::queryExit() should be called in this case.
> >
> > Right, it's not.
> > The question is what should happen?
> > Should mail checking happen in the background of the composer window,
> > or should be stopped when closing the last KMMainWin?
> > My guess is for the latter - if we agree I can simply move the code
> > to the destructor or closeEvent and check if there are any visible
> > KMMainWin remaining in the static window list.
>
> Hmm, you don't mention the system tray applet, but that's probably just
> an oversight.
None of this happens (e.g. the mail checks keep running) if there's a systray applet,
there was already a check for it in this patch (kmmainwin.cpp)

> Also we sometimes have an invisible KMMainWin object in
> the kernel (or is this an invisible KMMainWidget object nowadays?).
I looked for that, but didn't find any trace of it. Are you sure this is still being done?
Anyway, the new patch (which I just committed) iterates over the list
of mainwindows and looks for "not withdrawn" (i.e. visible, basically) ones.

> I don't know whether I should be for or against stopping mail checking
> when the last main window is closed. But I tend to agree with you.
George also reported this as a bug, on IRC.
"I close kmail and it keeps downloading mail for a very long time"
or as I experienced it with a hanging ssh connection, it would try to download
mail for ever and never exit.... This is why I fixed this.

> Till or Carsten will have to comment on the IMAP related parts of the
> patch.
They didn't, but I understand from Till that he lets me mess with the dimap stuff :-)

--
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer