List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Reply behavior in KMail
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-30 12:53:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 November 2003 04:05, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Saturday 29 November 2003 09:18, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > The question now is whether it's necessary to revert the behavior
> > to the old behavior until the new behavior is improved like above.
> > The only valid reason for this is that probably many users always
> > used Reply in case they wanted to reply to a mailing-list and that
> > this worked for them up to now. A few people complained about this
> > on kmail@kde.org and kde-pim@kde.org and there were also already 1
> > or 2 bugs reports about this. Of course, only those people complain
> > that don't like the change. Those who like the new much more
> > logical behavior don't speak up. Therefore I'd like to know what
> > the usability team thinks about this.
>
> I'm not real happy with the current reply to behavior.
>
> I believe Waldo's, Andras' and Jason's criticisms are legitimate.

Sure. But this criticism is mostly based on two things:
a) There was no Reply to Mailing-list icon on the default toolbar.
b) People didn't know about Reply to Mailing-list (mainly due to a)).

a) has been fixed by me in the meantime. So everone updating to KDE 3.2
will notice the new icon, wonder why it's there, notice that Reply
doesn't work anymore as before and start using Reply to Mailing-list
(what they should have been using all the time for replying to
mailing-list messages).

> I vote for the behavior to be reverted to the old behavior. That is
> the standard reply action should always use the reply-to field when
> set, and that no exception should be made for mailing lists. I
> believe that this should be the behavior for the 3.2 release.

Since we have roughly as many external proponents as external opponents
I think it's time for a decision by the KMail decision making group.
Don and me disagree. So the decision will have to be made by a vote of
the KMail core developers which are (according to About KMail) Till
Adam, Carsten Burghardt, Marc Mutz, Zack Rusin. In case of a draw Don
and me agreed (IIRC) that Stephan Kulow will decide.

Dear fellow core developers: Please take the time to read the thread
"Ideas on Reply-To-List" on kmail@kde.org and then make your decision:

[ ] Revert to the KDE 3.1 behavior where Reply always used the value of
the Reply-to header
[ ] Keep the current behavior where Reply works as Reply to Sender
[ ] Abstention

Regards,
Ingo