List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Reply behavior in KMail
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-30 3:05:36

On Saturday 29 November 2003 09:18, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, please keep kmail@kde.org CC'ed.
>
> As you might have noticed the behavior of KMail when using Reply
> has changed since KDE 3.1. The current KMail tries to address the
> reply to the original sender of the message if Reply is used even
> for mailing-lists which set the Reply-to header. Of course this
> only works if KMail can figure out the mailing-list address and
> therefore can ignore it in case it's present in the Reply-to
> header. Anyway, what I'd like to know is whether this change is
> usability-wise a good change or not.
>
> The current behavior is:
> Reply ('r') -> reply to the original sender
> Reply to Mailing-list ('l') -> reply to the mailing-list
>
> The old behavior was:
> Reply ('r') -> reply to Reply-to address if present, else to From;
> in case of Reply-to mangling mailing-list (seems to be the majority
> nowadays) this resulted in a reply to the mailing-list
> Reply to Mailing-list ('l') -> reply to the mailing-list
>
> With the old behavior it was impossible to send a private reply
> without using the mouse to right-click on the sender's address
> (which means that's actually an accessibility problem). This is the
> main reason why the new behavior was introduced.
>
> Things which should be improved after KDE 3.2:
> a) Rephrase "Reply" to "Reply to Sender"
> b) Replace the two Reply buttons in the toolbar with a
> KToolBarPopupAction which contains all three Reply actions (-> one
> button less on the toolbar ;-) ) similar to the Forward button. The
> standard behavior of this button could be Reply to Mailing-list for
> mailing-list messages and Reply (to Sender) for normal messages.
>
> The question now is whether it's necessary to revert the behavior
> to the old behavior until the new behavior is improved like above.
> The only valid reason for this is that probably many users always
> used Reply in case they wanted to reply to a mailing-list and that
> this worked for them up to now. A few people complained about this
> on kmail@kde.org and kde-pim@kde.org and there were also already 1
> or 2 bugs reports about this. Of course, only those people complain
> that don't like the change. Those who like the new much more
> logical behavior don't speak up. Therefore I'd like to know what
> the usability team thinks about this.

I'm not real happy with the current reply to behavior.

I believe Waldo's, Andras' and Jason's criticisms are legitimate.

I vote for the behavior to be reverted to the old behavior. That is
the standard reply action should always use the reply-to field when
set, and that no exception should be made for mailing lists. I
believe that this should be the behavior for the 3.2 release.

Don.