List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Ideas on Reply-To-List
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-28 22:32:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 28 November 2003 21:12, brad wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just an ordinary kmail user, but i must agree with Jason as far
> as this being annoying. The reasons for this problem are:
> - kmail users will expect 'r' reply to the a list based on previous
> experience with kmail.

Yes, I can understand this although I never used 'r' for this.

> > Reply must always use the value of the Reply-to header if it's
> > present and hasn't been set by a mailing-list. The sender will have
> > defined a Reply-to for a reason.
>
> Mailing lists set the Reply-To header for a reason, that is, so when
> a user hits 'reply' in his mail client the new message will be
> addressed to the list. (Which seems to be a hack to get mailing lists
> to work with the current email standard).

No, it's a hack to make mailing lists work with dumb email clients like
Outlook Express which don't provide a Reply to Mailing-list. KMail OTOH
has a Reply to Mailing-list action (since KDE 2.1 I might add).

> > > Each of the three actions could still have individual keyboard
> > > shortcuts for quick access when needed, but the "Reply" key ("r")
> > > should use the intelligent action.
> >
> > "r" must always be "Reply (to sender)". Everything else would be
> > confusing.
>
> Unless users are used to 'r' replying to a list, like with previous
> versions of kmail.

But this only works for mailing-list which set the Reply-to header. But
I guess nowadays almost all mailing-list have adopted this bad habit.

Regards,
Ingo