List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Ideas on Reply-To-List
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-28 22:26:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 28 November 2003 21:56, Andras Mantia wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Reply must always use the value of the Reply-to header if it's
> > present and hasn't been set by a mailing-list. The sender will have
> > defined a Reply-to for a reason. If you still want to reply to the
> > sender then click with the right mouse button on the sender's name
> > and select Reply to...
>
> This is what I don't understand. Why is there an exception for
> mailing lists? As you state the sender defined the Reply-To for a
> reason, and the sender in this is the mailing list server and that
> one might have mangled the Reply-To for a reason.
>
> One of your reason are that many private mails were sent to mailing
> lists. But with the current solution I'm pretty sure that many mails
> that were supposed to go to a list, will go only to the sender. Old
> habits don't go away fast.

The problem is that some mailing-lists set a Reply-to header to the
mailing-list address and other mailing-lists don't. Therefore sometimes
Reply would address the reply to the mailing-list and sometimes it
wouldn't do this. Don't you think that's confusing? And that's exactly
why KMail has Reply to Mailing-list. Reply to Mailing-list will always
address the reply to the mailing-list regardless of whether a the
mailing-list manager set a Reply-to header or not.

The old behavior was inconsistent because it only worked for
mailing-lists which set a Reply-to header.

The new behavior makes a clear distinction between
Reply (to sender) and Reply to Mailing-list. If you want to reply to the
mailing-list then you'll have to choose the appropriate action. That
can't be that difficult. But if it's too difficult for you then nothing
prevents you from binding 'r' to Reply to Mailing-list and from
replacing the Reply icon in the toolbar with the Reply to Mailing-list
icon.

BTW, Dirk Müller asked us to make this change. So maybe he can better
explain to you why he wanted this change.

Regards,
Ingo