List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Asynchronous filtering
From:       Andreas Gungl <a.gungl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-10-30 9:07:51

On Thursday 30 October 2003 00:16, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 October 2003 20:34, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 October 2003 14:03, Till Adam wrote:
> > > I agree with the roadmap idea.
> >
> > My 0.02 € :
>
> My 2 ¢ in return:
> > I intend to put the anti spam wizard into KMail as soon as KDE 3.2 is
> > out and CVS is open again. There needs to be some polish and perhaps
> > additional support for tools which I didn't care for yet.
>
> Here's my point of critique with your current approach. IIRC you
> hardcoded support for spamassassin and bogofilter into the wizard. But
> [snip]

Here you got me. ;-) I already had this on my todo list for the next steps
regarding the spam wizard. I consider the current state as limited in
configurability, and I fully second your proposals. Our intentions meet
perfectly. ;-)
But what I don't want to do is to work completely outside cvs. I prefer
letting the then current state going in after 3.2 and give a possibility to
others to discuss that state. (In the same way as you pointed me to the
configurability weakness.) On the other hand I will continue to work on the
wizard, so you can expect some improvements over the patch I've sent to you
when the code goes into cvs.

> > Perhaps
> > getting some pictures for the wizard would be nice. And I would like
> > to have icons for (un)mark as spam as well as support for the (filter
> > rule) menu items in the toolbar.

I've seen that yesterday evening. It's even possible to mark messages as
spam / ham by a filter action. Till fixed a problem in the saving of that
configuration yesterday night, and I've supported those actions inside the
wizard (locally on my disk).

> We already have support for filter actions in the toolbar since quite
> some time. The only problem was that those actions didn't have an icon.
> But no more. This weekend I made it possible to associate an icon with
> a filter so now you can fill up your toolbar with all the filter
> actions you always wanted to add.

I need to find out how to configure this. Then it should be no problem to
set up the right filters and associate them with toolbar buttons.

> > A spam status would be nice too.
> > Then KMail is comparable to e.g. Mozilla Mail except that one has to
> > install the anti spam tool (bogofilter, spamassassin etc.) by itself,
> > but the distributors can help there.

So basically we already have the infrastructure settled. Experience users
will be able to setup KMail in a way to be comparable to other MUAs anti
spam features. Other users will have to wait for the intermediate release.

Andreas
- --
    ~
  ' v '