List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Asynchronous filtering
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-29 23:16:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 20:34, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2003 14:03, Till Adam wrote:
> > I agree with the roadmap idea.
>
> My 0.02 € :

My 2 ¢ in return:

> I intend to put the anti spam wizard into KMail as soon as KDE 3.2 is
> out and CVS is open again. There needs to be some polish and perhaps
> additional support for tools which I didn't care for yet.

Here's my point of critique with your current approach. IIRC you
hardcoded support for spamassassin and bogofilter into the wizard. But
that's precisely what I don't want. I don't want anything hardcoded
into KMail which is specific for a spam filter. Instead it should be
possible to add support for new spam filters without touching KMail's
source code. This could probably be solved similarly to the
configuration profiles. We need to know very little about the spam
filters. We need the commands to check for spam, to learn spam, to
learn ham and probably to add/remove an email address to/from a black-/
white-list. This could all be stored in different config keys in a
pseudo config file for each spam filter. KMail should then check for
the availability of the spam filters and show the user only the
installed spam filters. Alternatively we could also add a URL for each
spam filter with download instructions, so that the user knows where he
can get a missing spam filter. This URL should point to a subpage of
kmail.kde.org so that we can easily react on changes.

> Perhaps
> getting some pictures for the wizard would be nice. And I would like
> to have icons for (un)mark as spam as well as support for the (filter
> rule) menu items in the toolbar.

We already have support for filter actions in the toolbar since quite
some time. The only problem was that those actions didn't have an icon.
But no more. This weekend I made it possible to associate an icon with
a filter so now you can fill up your toolbar with all the filter
actions you always wanted to add.

> A spam status would be nice too.
> Then KMail is comparable to e.g. Mozilla Mail except that one has to
> install the anti spam tool (bogofilter, spamassassin etc.) by itself,
> but the distributors can help there.
>
> I will also engage in the area of groupware functionality. My company
> has settled a Kolab server (currently only LDAP is in use, IMAP will
> follow) so that I will care for bugs in the client.

Good to hear.

Regards,
Ingo