List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: little reminder on the 3.2 release schedule
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-19 21:06:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 19 September 2003 04:38, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2003 21:55, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 September 2003 10:17, Don Sanders wrote:
> > > Moving onto HTML editing. There's a working (but buggy) HTML
> > > editing patch now implemented. It hasn't required any major
> > > rewriting of code, so hopefully it doesn't open a can of worms
> > > and hopefully fixing the remaining bugs doesn't require any major
> > > rewriting. Someone else is helping with this now, so maybe it'll
> > > only require two weeks effort on my part.
> >
> > I still would prefer doing HTML editing together with the kompose
> > framework Zack is working on for post 3.2. But I first would have
> > to see this in action.
>
> The Kompose framework won't magically implement HTML support, someone
> still has to do that work, the tasks are somewhat orthogonal.

True. But I guess that most of the work to put HTML support into
KMComposer will be done again in order to add HTML support to some
Komposer plugin. Or does the HTML support not heavily rely on the
underlying KEdit (which is based on some long deprecated Qt class) and
on the current layout handling in KMComposer?
I'm not saying that the work should be stopped. But I'm pretty sure that
most of the work will not be portable to the Komposer framework so that
then the work will have to start from scratch. Anyway, if I'm wrong
with this assumption then just ignore me. ;-)

> Outlook is fond of sending Multipart/Related messages, or at least it
> used to be. It's important for communicating with Outlook users.

Yeah. I really would like to be able to see all those spam messages in
all their beauty. ;-) I guess I just don't know enough Outlook users
because I never ever received a multipart/related message which wasn't
spam.

> > > So I have 8 weeks / 64 hours of work todo. I'm not sure but I
> > > might be able to get it done by the October 21. That is assuming
> > > that I can actually get my code into cvs, that it isn't veto'd
> > > and that before that date no serious bugs are found, or
> > > introduced in the features I've already committed. Which makes me
> > > wonder about your finding a new crash every day comment, because
> > > I'm simply not seeing regular reports of crashes in the features
> > > I've implemented thus far.
> >
> > Because Till and I try to tackle the bugs right away :)
>
> That's nice, but please remember what I'm not told about I don't know
> about.

Don, you should really relax a bit. It's not as if you would have to fix
each and every bug in KMail. You should really put some trust in your
fellow developers and you shouldn't take all complaints about the
"buggy" KMail too serious. After all we are using KMail HEAD all the
time, so it really can't be that broken.

Regards,
Ingo