List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Archiving messages from KMail
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-11 21:55:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 11 September 2003 02:59, CP Hennessy wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I am a happy KMail user.

That's good to hear.

> However I have a request ( OK, so why else would I be here :)
> I have one of my filtered mail boxes which contain over 27000 mails
> and even though once it's loaded it's fine, it's the amount of memory
> that it uses to get these which is a bit of a pain ( roughly 64 MB ).
> Now what I'm think of doing is to implement an "archiving" function.
> It's not going to be very sophisiticated ( I really don't think it
> has to be ), but what I'm thinking of is an option on the context
> menu in the folder pain which would allow you to archive all of the
> emails ( configurable but probably from 4 weeks previously ). The
> archive would be a folder somewhere up the folder tree ( i.e. towards
> "Local Folders" ).
> I don't yet have any code but I have been looking at KMail. So if
> anyone is interested, or can point me in the right direction ( maybe
> someone already has something sitting on their harddisk ?), I'd
> appreciate it.

Archiving (= moving old messages to another folder) is very similar to
Expiring (= deletion of old messages). Actually, both functions are
exactly the same if one interprets deletion as moving to /dev/null.

You should have a look at the code that handles the expiration, make it
a bit more generic so that it can be used for both, expiration and
archiving.

I don't think that it would be much work. But please note that this new
feature won't make it into KDE 3.2 because no new features apart from
the already planned new features are allowed for KDE 3.2. This
basically means that you don't have to rush anything. Just take your
time.

Regards,
Ingo