List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Archiving messages from KMail
From:       Neil Williams <linux () codehelp ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-09-11 22:47:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 1:59 am, CP Hennessy wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I am a happy KMail user.
> However I have a request ( OK, so why else would I be here :)
> I have one of my filtered mail boxes which contain over 27000 mails
> and even though once it's loaded it's fine, it's the amount of memory that
> it uses to get these which is a bit of a pain ( roughly 64 MB ).
> Now what I'm think of doing is to implement an "archiving" function.

Already available as open source, free and with no compilation / dependencies
/ binaries (as it's in Perl):
MHonArc.
For an example of just one installation using MHonArc, see
http://www.dclug.org.uk/index.html
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/threads.html

MHonArc will archive messages direct from a KMail directory using a simple
bash command:
mhonarc -rcfile mhonarc.mrc -mhpattern '^[^\.]' ~/Mail/folder/cur/ --outdir
./mhonarc/

> It's not going to be very sophisiticated ( I really don't think it has to
> be ), but what I'm thinking of is an option on the context menu in the
> folder pain which would allow you to archive all of the emails (

No need - MHonArc can run manually or via cron and it can also keep the
archive up-to-date as new emails arrive.

> configurable but probably from 4 weeks previously ). The archive would be a
> folder somewhere up the folder tree ( i.e. towards "Local Folders" ).

Simple HTML - then you can use Apache/Perl to search the entire archive.

> I don't yet have any code but I have been looking at KMail. So if anyone is
> interested, or can point me in the right direction ( maybe someone already
> has something sitting on their harddisk ?), I'd appreciate it.

Sitting on many servers as well:
http://www.mhonarc.org/

> Anyway I'll have to implement something before my folder reaches 30000 (
> only a few weeks away ).

Don't re-invent the wheel - MHonArc will process all those messages in less
than 3 minutes.

It also deals with other mail clients and folder types.

--

Neil Williams