List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Operations on the parent of a closed thread
From:       Carsten Burghardt <burghardt () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-30 16:10:17

On Sunday 30 March 2003 16:18, Till Adam wrote:
> > - A closed selected thread should be marked different from a thread
> > where only the top-level messages is selected (e. g. by changing the
> > color of the [+]/[-] thingie). Else it won't be possible to tell the
> > difference between a selected thread (which was selected by selecting
> > the root of a closed thread) and a selected top-level message (which
> > was selected when the thread was open but then the thread was closed).
>
> Ok, marking it different sounds like a good additional hint.

Yes but I'm curious how that can be achieved with QListViewItems. I guess
you'll have to do the painting yourself.

> > BTW, what does your patch do if I select the top-level message of a
> > thread and then close the thread? As you patched
> > KMHeaders::selectedMsgs() I guess that after closing the thread the
> > complete thread will be treated as selected which is IMO wrong
> > behavior.
>
> Why is that wrong? For me a closed thread is a unit, represented by the
> parent. Actions on the parent should be executed on the unit, which means
> all messages of the thread. Collapsing a thread is making a unit out of the
> messages in it, therefor collapsing a thread with a selected parent is
> selecting that whole thread. That is consistent and intuitive, in my
> opinion.

No because you don't see the messages that you are deleting. So you want to
introduce a behaviour that operates on some messages without actually showing
them. This could be efficient if you know it but what if you think you
operate only on the selected message?